+-

Video Silat

Shoutbox

30/12/2023 22:12 anaknaga: Mudik ke Forum ini.
Mampir dulu di penghujung 2023..
07/11/2021 17:43 santri kinasih: Holaaaaas
10/02/2021 10:29 anaknaga: Salam Silat..
Semoga Sadulur sekalian sehat semua di Masa Pandemi Covid-19. semoga olah raga dan rasa dapat meningkatkan daya tahan tubuh kita. hampur 5 tahun tidak ada yang memberikan komen disini.
23/12/2019 08:32 anaknaga: Tidak bisa masuk thread. dah lama tidak nengok perkembangan forum ini.
salam perguruan dan padepokan silat seluruh nusantara.
02/07/2019 18:01 Putra Petir: Akhirnya masuk jua... wkwkwk
13/12/2016 10:49 Taufan: Yuk ke Festival Kampung Silat Jampang 17-18 Desember 2016!!!
20/09/2016 16:45 Dolly Maylissa: kangen diskusi disini
View Shout History

Recent Topics

Berita Duka: Alamsyah bin H Mursyid Bustomi by luri
10/07/2022 09:14

PPS Betako Merpati Putih by acepilot
14/08/2020 10:06

Minta Do`a dan bimbingan para suhu dan sesepuh silat :D. SANDEKALA by zvprakozo
10/04/2019 18:34

On our book: "The Fighting Art of Pencak Silat and its Music" by Ilmu Padi
13/03/2017 14:37

Siaran Radio ttg. Musik Pencak Silat di Stasiun "BR-Klassik / Musik der Welt" by Ilmu Padi
12/01/2017 16:19

Tentang buku kami: "The Fighting Art of Pencak Silat and its Music" by Ilmu Padi
17/10/2016 20:27

Hoby Miara Jin by anaknaga
19/09/2016 04:50

TALKSHOW SILAT - Silat Untuk Kehidupan by luri
22/06/2016 08:11

Thi Khi I Beng by aki sija
17/08/2015 06:19

[BUKUTAMU] by devil
09/06/2015 21:51

Daftar Aliran dan Perguruan di Indonesia by devil
01/06/2015 14:01

SILAT BERDO'A SELAMAT by devil
01/06/2015 13:59

Persilatan Jurus Lima (Sabandar) by Marsudi Eko
14/05/2015 19:36

Kebugaran Merpati Putih by mpcrb
22/04/2015 16:16

PAWAI JAMBORE PENCAK 2015 by luri
20/04/2015 16:20

SilatIndonesia.Com

Author Topic: Jawa Silat in Malaysia  (Read 16753 times)

amirulhusnitekpi

Jawa Silat in Malaysia
« on: 24/07/2007 07:05 »
Assalamua'laikum and peace to all,

I would like to share two videoclips from youtube.com showing two existing Silat Jawa in Malaysia.

1) Silat Langkah Bromo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7dAIw3D1sY

(not that clear)

2) Silat Sukmorogo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF16ob6S3kE

There are other silat styles/schools that originated from the island of Jawa/Java.

For example,

Silat Rencong Rentak 9 (previously known as Silat Moropulai Sogo)
Silat Kuntau Jawa
Silat Depowoojo
Silat Harimau Berantai
Silat Seranteh (ngeranteh)
Silat Siamang Laut

Peace

tangan-awan

• Anggota Tetap
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Jawa Silat in Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: 24/07/2007 10:44 »
Jawa Silat that I found accidentally while browsing is Gerakan Suci Mangkubumi
http://www.angelfire.com/journal/slt/PGSM.htm
their perguruan name and terminology used is strongly indicated source from Jawa
but which perguruan is their roots maybe that's our homework to find out
Lemes lebih menang dari keras.lembek lebih menang daripada koeat,antero doenia semoea taoe,tapi tida ada jang bisa djalanin  - Too Tik Ting Fatsal Ka LXXVIII Ajat 442

Ranggalana

• Calon Pendekar
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • sastra jendra hyu ning rad pangruwating diyu
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 24/07/2007 12:11 »
It seems as clear as day to me, Koran Tempo and sahabatSilat should send an investigative reporter to Malaysia! It becomes more and more obvious that studying silat you need to cover all Malay cultures ... maybe even the regions of silat overlap with the regions of keris; the sphere of influence of Majapahit?

Thank you for the info anyway.

Salam hangat,
Bram
batu kali jadi candi, duka jadi puisi, jagal jadi wali

Rebo Paing

« Reply #3 on: 24/07/2007 12:34 »
Thank you Mas Amirulhusnitekpi, for bringing this topic to the surface.

Silat Sukmorogo ... the name confirms (to me in any case) that there is a sameness in the end result among all movement orientated activities.

Sukmo - spirit - I, rogo - shape - body - form - Hsing ... in the end concepts can be understood a myriad of ways, each culture adapting and making ideas into reality to mirror their own cultural and environmental needs. It confirms 2 things for me:
1/ That spirituality has always been inherent within martial endeavour - it creates the personal environment to allow deep meditative introspection, and ...
2/ somewhere along the line people discover the combination of factors that together create a source of superior power, which changes the way we move and exist.

I agree with you Bram, it would be a great opportunity to investigate links in Malaysia.

Mangkubumi .. maybe sounds like it's from Solo ya Bram?

Salam,
Krisno
« Last Edit: 24/07/2007 12:38 by Rebo Paing »

Ranggalana

• Calon Pendekar
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • sastra jendra hyu ning rad pangruwating diyu
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 24/07/2007 12:51 »
Thank you Mas Amirulhusnitekpi, for bringing this topic to the surface.

Silat Sukmorogo ... the name confirms (to me in any case) that there is a sameness in the end result among all movement orientated activities.

Sukmo - spirit - I, rogo - shape - body - form - Hsing ... in the end concepts can be understood a myriad of ways, each culture adapting and making ideas into reality to mirror their own cultural and environmental needs. It confirms 2 things for me:
1/ That spirituality has always been inherent within martial endeavour - it creates the personal environment to allow deep meditative introspection, and ...
2/ somewhere along the line people discover the combination of factors that together create a source of superior power, which changes the way we move and exist.

I agree with you Bram, it would be a great opportunity to investigate links in Malaysia.

Mangkubumi .. maybe sounds like it's from Solo ya Bram?

Salam,
Krisno

Mas Kris,

Mangkubumi is a title often given to Princes. The most famous warrior Mangkubumi would be Pangeran Mangkubumi who later became Ngarsa nDalem Sampeyan nDalem Ingkang Sinuwun Hamengku Buwana Senapati Ingalaga Sayidin Panatagama Kalifatullah Ingkang Kaping I. .. then I think that there was also a Pangeran Mangkubumi in Perang Dipanegara (1825-30) ... Both could be related to the Malaysian Mangkubumi silat.

However, saying that, in the ethnic Jawa communities there is not that much silat. Most Jawa silat comes from Sunda, Bugis, Madura and Padang. Like in Merpati Putih - if I am not mistaken, the ilmu pernafasan is old and goes back to Mataram days but the movement was formulated in the 1970's, in dialogue with other gerak silat from all over.
batu kali jadi candi, duka jadi puisi, jagal jadi wali

amirulhusnitekpi

« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2007 13:17 »

Mas Kris,

Mangkubumi is a title often given to Princes. The most famous warrior Mangkubumi would be Pangeran Mangkubumi who later became Ngarsa nDalem Sampeyan nDalem Ingkang Sinuwun Hamengku Buwana Senapati Ingalaga Sayidin Panatagama Kalifatullah Ingkang Kaping I. .. then I think that there was also a Pangeran Mangkubumi in Perang Dipanegara (1825-30) ... Both could be related to the Malaysian Mangkubumi silat.

However, saying that, in the ethnic Jawa communities there is not that much silat. Most Jawa silat comes from Sunda, Bugis, Madura and Padang. Like in Merpati Putih - if I am not mistaken, the ilmu pernafasan is old and goes back to Mataram days but the movement was formulated in the 1970's, in dialogue with other gerak silat from all over.

Assalamua'laikum

There are also perguruan in Malaysia that simply uses the name 'Silat Jawa'. One still exist in Kedah while another in the state of Pahang.

Mas Bram (that's really weird...can i continue to call you Pak Bram?),

Good to see you mentioning Perang Dipanegara because silat like Harimau Berantai and Rencong Rentak 9 (moropulai sogo) traced their styles from the warriors of Pangeran Diponegoro who migrated to the peninsula.

Silat Seranteh on the other hand, was called Silat Jawa, but changed their name for identification purposes. The Guru Utama, Hj. Ahmad Nirun or Tok Mat uses the name Seranteh because it reminded him of a village in Java called Ngeranteh (doesn't specify which part of Java).

There are also numerous silat styles and schools that traced their origin to West Java. They include;

Silat Kuningan
Silat Cimande Pecah 7
Silat Cimande Lincah
Silat Cikalong Cempaka Putih
Silat Selewah Jati
Silat Tonggak Siliwangi Biru
Silat Sendeng Betawi
Silat Mega Chemande
Silat Gegaran Petani

Most of them can be found in the states of Selangor, Pahang and Johor.

If you guys want to come to Malaysia, don't forget to tell me. If i'm available, i'll gladly participate in the silaturrahmi, inshaAllah.

peace

wassalaam

tangan-awan

• Anggota Tetap
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 24/07/2007 14:01 »
Cikalong Cempaka Putih Again....

"Silat Cikalong Cempaka Putih originates from Cikalong, Kampung Jaka Sembong, Tanjong Mojo, Jawa Tengah (Central Java) and was brought to Pontian, Johor, Malaysia around 1975 by Pak Sudarto bin Haji Zahari.

Silat Cikalong Cempaka Putih was founded by Pendekar Neneng Supar Mek in Central Java and is a hybrid of 17 types of silat from the whole of Java."

http://www.combat-silat.net/silatnow/articles.asp?menu=article&record=9

Is there anyone can give info about Cikalong area in Central Java ?
Lemes lebih menang dari keras.lembek lebih menang daripada koeat,antero doenia semoea taoe,tapi tida ada jang bisa djalanin  - Too Tik Ting Fatsal Ka LXXVIII Ajat 442

parewa

• Administrator
  • Calon Pendekar
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #7 on: 24/07/2007 15:16 »

Silat Siamang Laut

Peace

Wa'alaikum Salam Cik Amirul (we can call you 'cik', right?),

I think Silat Rencong Retak 9 should be from Aceh as rencong is the weapon of Aceh people.

Siamang in Minangkabau means big monkey, therefore looks like that Silat Siamang Laut is from West Sumatera.

Salam Pencak Silat.

Rebo Paing

« Reply #8 on: 24/07/2007 15:17 »
An investigation and re-discovering (from a Jawanese perspective) of the different styles found among the followers and the warriors of R. Diponegoro is an ambition close to my heart. This is very exciting!
I wonder why it disappeared from the Gendingan area? In east Jawa it seems to me that there is only the ghost from the past. Bener ya Bram? I wonder if the answers lie in Malaysia and in Sulawesi?
As a point of interest, I was based in Malaysia and also Singapura for a short while once (1983) ... ahh if I only knew then what I know now I would not have squandered the opportunity of time and place :'(.

Salam hangat,
Krisno

P.S. I concur with Mas Parewa, a rencong is the traditional weapon (belatinipun tiang Aceh) of the Acehnese. It also has imbued the properties same as keris in Tanah Jawi, I believe.
« Last Edit: 24/07/2007 15:21 by Rebo Paing »

amirulhusnitekpi

« Reply #9 on: 24/07/2007 17:47 »

Wa'alaikum Salam Cik Amirul (we can call you 'cik', right?),

I think Silat Rencong Retak 9 should be from Aceh as rencong is the weapon of Aceh people.

Siamang in Minangkabau means big monkey, therefore looks like that Silat Siamang Laut is from West Sumatera.

Salam Pencak Silat.

Mas Parewa,

Yes, i agree that Rencong is an Acheh weapon. Kegayungan Aceh Helang Putih Malaysia is one silat that uses it as their main weapon. I was also confused with the name. But the current Guru Utama of this silat stated clearly that his art is from Jawa.

This is the excerpt from Seni Beladiri magazine number 20, July 1999:

'Guru bapa saya berasal dari Jawa. Perguruan ini pada mulanya dikenali sebagai Moropulai Sogo dan kemudiannya disesuaikan dengan nama Rincong Rentak Sembilan, sempena dengan sembilan senjata semulajadi yang terdapat dalam diri manusia'

I tried looking up the Kamus Dewan (Malay Dictionary) for Rincong (thought that it would differ from Rencong) but there's no such word. Guess the author made a spelling mistake.

Also in Kamus Dewan, rencong has two meanings;

1) sejenis badik (Acheh)
2) rancung (keratan atau potongan), serong. Merencong=memotong (mengerat, membuat) rencong.

I think they are trying to convey the second meaning in the silat name.

Now for Silat Siamang Laut, this i a couple of excerpts from Seni Beladiri magazine number 9 (105) dated august 2006;

'Setelah tamat darjah lima pada tahun 1951, guru Haji Ibrahim menyambung ilmu persilatan di kampung. Silat yang dituntut adalah Kuntau Jawa atau dikenali juga Siamang Laut'

' Siamang Laut, menurut guru Haji Ibrahim, berasal dari seorang guru keturunan Jawa bernama Haji Salleh yang mengajar di Pendang'

'Mengenai nama perguruan iaitu Siamang Laut. Ada pelbagai versi diketahui oleh Haji Ibrahim. Ia mengenai pertempuran lanun. Versi kedua adalah gaya permainannya seperti beruk menangkap mangsa dari belakang.'

One thing i would like to share and remind my friends from Indonesia is that not all of the silat styles in Malaysia that traced their origins to Jawa or Minang (or other parts) still maintain the Jawaness and Minangkabauness of the art. What i mean is that while the techniques and the martial aspects are intact, the 'budaya asli' or original culture from where they originated are either Malaysianized or left alltogether.

Some silat however still maintain the cultural aspects, including the language, for example,

Silat Randai Minang
Silat Sendeng 2 Beradik
Silat Pendekar Bertuah
etc

Peace

Gajah

• Anggota Tetap
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 25/07/2007 01:34 »
For example,

Silat Kuntau Jawa
Silat Depowoojo
Silat Harimau Berantai
Silat Seranteh (ngeranteh)
Silat Siamang Laut
:)

Salam mas Amirulhusnitekpi,

Any idea of which region in Jawa Harimau Berantai originated from? I study this style with one of Guru Jak's original UK students, so this is of much interest to me.

If anyone is interested, I came across a clip of a very youthful Guru Jak on youtube a while back, showing some basic belati techniques. The clip was from the Mahaguru TV series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yunHTUinFUY

Is Guru Jak still teaching Harimau Berantai in KL? I've heard he now heads a MT gym. I know a couple of people who have tried to get in touch with him recently but havent seemed to be able to track him down :)

Salam Hormat

Gajah

« Last Edit: 25/07/2007 01:36 by Gajah »

amirulhusnitekpi

« Reply #11 on: 25/07/2007 06:35 »

Below is an excerpt of the info on Pencak Silat Harimau Berantai that i managed to save before the website jakothmansilat.com became defunct.

Harimau Berantai is a Javanese Pencak SIlat style named after the legendary pendekar Haji Asraf who fought the Dutch Colonial forces in the war of independence of Indonesia during the middle of the 15th century. Due to his legendary figthing skills and battle strategies, he was feared and respected by his adversaries. The Dutch army called him Madjan (meaning tiger in Javanese). Haji Asraf was a pious man. His clan called him Harimau Berantai meaning chained tiger. A tiger who was chained by his faith and religion. The Islamic faith chained the tiger from running amok.

The rest of the story doesn't tell the exact place of origin. Now the grandmaster is Ibu Ramintan Samingon who lives in Johor.

Abg Jak's new website is

http://www.jakickboxing.com/

I don't know whether or not he still teach Harimau Berantai.

Hope that helps.

Peace

castromariachi

• Anggota Tetap
  • Thank You
  • capo
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 25/07/2007 08:34 »
interesting fact...

once i read a book about Malacca's History, it state that the Kingdom of Malacca at the their golden time has 20.000 mercenaries from various countries, most of them are Javanese, Arabian, and Persian...maybe those mercenaries from Java who brought Javanese Silat/art fighting to Malay states ( Negeri-negeri Melayu )

Baen aha diakkui sude bangso on hita, ia anggo so diakkui Debata pangalahon ta

AbdUllah

• Anggota Tetap
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 25/07/2007 10:21 »
Why has Jak changed to kickboxing from silat? :(

ps... i never knew there were javanese (from jawa) silat styles in malaysia... do they employ the use of animal forms while fighting?

Wa salam

amirulhusnitekpi

« Reply #14 on: 25/07/2007 22:19 »

I don't think guru Jak has dismissed his silat lineage. In my opinion, kickboxing is his business, silat Harimau Berantai is his heritage. I think he still teaches silat.

I don't know whether or not they use animal movements.

I do know one style in particular that really...i mean really follow the ways of an animal.

That style is Seni Silat Kegayungan Aceh Helang Putih. It originated from Aceh/Acheh. They fight like an eagle, sound like an eagle and stare at the opponent with sharp and penetrating eyes like that of an eagle (i think  ??? ).

Peace