+-

Video Silat

Shoutbox

30/12/2023 22:12 anaknaga: Mudik ke Forum ini.
Mampir dulu di penghujung 2023..
07/11/2021 17:43 santri kinasih: Holaaaaas
10/02/2021 10:29 anaknaga: Salam Silat..
Semoga Sadulur sekalian sehat semua di Masa Pandemi Covid-19. semoga olah raga dan rasa dapat meningkatkan daya tahan tubuh kita. hampur 5 tahun tidak ada yang memberikan komen disini.
23/12/2019 08:32 anaknaga: Tidak bisa masuk thread. dah lama tidak nengok perkembangan forum ini.
salam perguruan dan padepokan silat seluruh nusantara.
02/07/2019 18:01 Putra Petir: Akhirnya masuk jua... wkwkwk
13/12/2016 10:49 Taufan: Yuk ke Festival Kampung Silat Jampang 17-18 Desember 2016!!!
20/09/2016 16:45 Dolly Maylissa: kangen diskusi disini
View Shout History

Recent Topics

Berita Duka: Alamsyah bin H Mursyid Bustomi by luri
10/07/2022 09:14

PPS Betako Merpati Putih by acepilot
14/08/2020 10:06

Minta Do`a dan bimbingan para suhu dan sesepuh silat :D. SANDEKALA by zvprakozo
10/04/2019 18:34

On our book: "The Fighting Art of Pencak Silat and its Music" by Ilmu Padi
13/03/2017 14:37

Siaran Radio ttg. Musik Pencak Silat di Stasiun "BR-Klassik / Musik der Welt" by Ilmu Padi
12/01/2017 16:19

Tentang buku kami: "The Fighting Art of Pencak Silat and its Music" by Ilmu Padi
17/10/2016 20:27

Hoby Miara Jin by anaknaga
19/09/2016 04:50

TALKSHOW SILAT - Silat Untuk Kehidupan by luri
22/06/2016 08:11

Thi Khi I Beng by aki sija
17/08/2015 06:19

[BUKUTAMU] by devil
09/06/2015 21:51

Daftar Aliran dan Perguruan di Indonesia by devil
01/06/2015 14:01

SILAT BERDO'A SELAMAT by devil
01/06/2015 13:59

Persilatan Jurus Lima (Sabandar) by Marsudi Eko
14/05/2015 19:36

Kebugaran Merpati Putih by mpcrb
22/04/2015 16:16

PAWAI JAMBORE PENCAK 2015 by luri
20/04/2015 16:20

SilatIndonesia.Com

Author Topic: My Days with Golok Betawi "Seliwa"  (Read 138667 times)

Antara

• Pendekar Madya
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 29
  • Malu bertanya tinggal pake GPS...
Re: My Days with Golok Betawi "Seliwa"
« Reply #105 on: 09/08/2011 23:34 »
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
by any other name would smell as sweet."

If I met Shakespeare in last few days I would ask him “How about a set of movements with a same name?” and I can imagine he would give me a dumb look ???.

So last week I joined a workshop of Tri Suwanda Silat in TIMA, Cinere. I guess the name of Suwanda family is still an irresistible temptation within Silat community.

To cut the story short, the first set of movements I learn there was the Seliwa of Timbangan. "Great", I said to myself. Let see what happen when Seliwa meets Seliwa. ;D

Intriguing.

The sets are different from Golok Seliwa, of course, but the principle is the same. Too identical to be called coincident. However, before I come to any conclusion about the two Seliwas came from the same root, I arrived at other realization.

There I saw my Judo days...
Also my karate days...

All those leg sweeps, ashi barai, the cat leg stance, neko ashi dachi, the strange inside kicking leg, mikazuki geri... goodie... how I could be so foolish not to realize that lots of Judo’s throwing techniques were invented under the principles of Seliwa. Also some movements in Karate KATA like those of UNSU, and my very favorite TEKKI... now I see what’s behind them.

Practicing at home, I found that those Seliwa movement of Timbangan flows easily with my Judo or Karate openings. As if I have been learning them for years instead of just last Saturday.

Also, they somehow enriched my own Golok Seliwa. The complicated leg movements of Timbangan also exist in Golok Seliwa, except that in Golok Seliwa they are hidden in principle of Jurus. Say, the simple movement of raising one leg in Pu’un number four covers most of the leg jurus in Timbangan. How? The Pu’un simply teaches to put your weight on back leg and let your front leg free... then your own sensitivity will lead to effective utilization of your front leg, that’s why Golok Seliwa utilizes lots of body sway. I remember intuitively doing some of the leg jurus of Timbangan sometime a go, simply by doing Pu'un over and over again. In Timbangan, however, all possible applications of front leg are listed, detailed, and practiced.

I like both approaches. Now that I meet both of them, I simply say that I like silat [top].

At philosophical level, I take that everything finally return to simplicity. We may encounter numerous method of teachings, but at the end of the journey, they all talk about the same thing. At higher plane we all are brothers.

Knowing this now ... I guess I need to re-evaluate my "my school is better" attitude [lucu]

... and... I feel pity to those I learn as collecting, or some people say, stealing movements from other schools.

Those people simply collecting applications, filling their brain with lots of ‘how-tos’... if they know better, they will benefit more from refining the wisdom hidden in their own school. Look around, yes, of course... I did just that last Saturday, but in the spirit of re-learning what you already have inside.

... and to have some variation in life too  :D
Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons are real...
Children always know that dragons are real...
Fairy tales only tell that dragons can be slain...

akoekoko

• Anggota
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Sahabat Silat
    • Email
Re: My Days with Golok Betawi "Seliwa"
« Reply #106 on: 16/07/2014 16:24 »
Wow, such a epic story and full with knowledge for newbie like me, Salute :D