+-

Video Silat

Shoutbox

30/12/2023 22:12 anaknaga: Mudik ke Forum ini.
Mampir dulu di penghujung 2023..
07/11/2021 17:43 santri kinasih: Holaaaaas
10/02/2021 10:29 anaknaga: Salam Silat..
Semoga Sadulur sekalian sehat semua di Masa Pandemi Covid-19. semoga olah raga dan rasa dapat meningkatkan daya tahan tubuh kita. hampur 5 tahun tidak ada yang memberikan komen disini.
23/12/2019 08:32 anaknaga: Tidak bisa masuk thread. dah lama tidak nengok perkembangan forum ini.
salam perguruan dan padepokan silat seluruh nusantara.
02/07/2019 18:01 Putra Petir: Akhirnya masuk jua... wkwkwk
13/12/2016 10:49 Taufan: Yuk ke Festival Kampung Silat Jampang 17-18 Desember 2016!!!
20/09/2016 16:45 Dolly Maylissa: kangen diskusi disini
View Shout History

Recent Topics

Berita Duka: Alamsyah bin H Mursyid Bustomi by luri
10/07/2022 09:14

PPS Betako Merpati Putih by acepilot
14/08/2020 10:06

Minta Do`a dan bimbingan para suhu dan sesepuh silat :D. SANDEKALA by zvprakozo
10/04/2019 18:34

On our book: "The Fighting Art of Pencak Silat and its Music" by Ilmu Padi
13/03/2017 14:37

Siaran Radio ttg. Musik Pencak Silat di Stasiun "BR-Klassik / Musik der Welt" by Ilmu Padi
12/01/2017 16:19

Tentang buku kami: "The Fighting Art of Pencak Silat and its Music" by Ilmu Padi
17/10/2016 20:27

Hoby Miara Jin by anaknaga
19/09/2016 04:50

TALKSHOW SILAT - Silat Untuk Kehidupan by luri
22/06/2016 08:11

Thi Khi I Beng by aki sija
17/08/2015 06:19

[BUKUTAMU] by devil
09/06/2015 21:51

Daftar Aliran dan Perguruan di Indonesia by devil
01/06/2015 14:01

SILAT BERDO'A SELAMAT by devil
01/06/2015 13:59

Persilatan Jurus Lima (Sabandar) by Marsudi Eko
14/05/2015 19:36

Kebugaran Merpati Putih by mpcrb
22/04/2015 16:16

PAWAI JAMBORE PENCAK 2015 by luri
20/04/2015 16:20

SilatIndonesia.Com

Author Topic: Teacher in SEA region  (Read 9024 times)

Mikael

• Anggota
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Teacher in SEA region
« on: 20/01/2008 10:45 »
Salam Alaykum.

Short way:

I'm looking for a Silat teacher with whom I can study spiritual aspects of Silat.

long way:

For about a year ago after finishing my millitary service I decided to dedicate my life to a spiritual journey. I gradually omitted nearly everything that had kept me occupied before (school, job, relationships, television, computer etc.) As time went by and cacophonic chaos started to vanish, I started experiencing various states of almost supernatural silence and lucidness. Something that's beyond concepts of time, space, myself, deepness or shallowness.

Unfortunately it became apparent that there is no way of expressing anything I might have realised during these times. And I started vanish into state of "non-being", nothingness that's difficult, if not impossible to describe. At this time I met an old friend of mine who introduced me into Islam and it did not take me a long time to realize, there was a very profound truth in it. Suddently so many previously incompehensible things started to make sense and my life started to unfold in many strange dimesions (sorry about this new-age-kind-of terminology. I have no other words. :) And I decided to travel to China to study internal martial arts. And that's where I'm currently sitting.

But the time is unning out. So I'll be hasty...

I'm looking for a Silat teacher in the SEA-region who can teach REAL spiritual side of Silat. Not for show...

Thanks in advance.

-sincerely: Mikael

Mikael

• Anggota
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Teacher in SEA region
« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2008 10:52 »
To clarify the point. We have abilities beyong our normal perception, which can be studied and honed to a level of seemingly supernatural levels. And I do not mean shirk. And I've heard there are people in the Silat circles who have granted these gifts by almighty. And even though I have full confidence in Allah, I would like to find a teacher of flesh and bones, who has already walked the path of beyondness.

For me this is serious. So please do not recommend just any teacher, who knows a lot about fighting. :)

Sabrang kidul

• Anggota Tetap
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Teacher in SEA region
« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2008 13:30 »

For me this is serious. So please do not recommend just any teacher, who knows a lot about fighting. :)

Alaikum salaam Mikael,
Similar to a previous posts, it pays to define what do you mean by the 'spiritual side of silat'. Spiritual, supranatural, tenaga dalam, kerohanian, kebatinan etc. may mean different things to different people.

For some it may mean the ability to do almost supernatural things relative our 'normal' perception such as the invicibility from bullet or knifes, no contact punch, seeing with your eyes closed etc. To other it is simply how to become a better person (not much different than phylosophy of Karate, kungfu  or boxing for that matter) or to submit and surender completely to God's will (After all this is what Islam is all about, right ?).

Another thing that you will need to define is, as you also mention the word, the what do you call 'shirk' or syirik or your 'treshold level' of it for wanting of a better word.

Would you consider a ritual of fasting (either fully or only consuming rice and water,  'mutih') for 40 days topped with seclusion without any light (pati geni)  as syirik or bid'ah?

What about bathing using or drinking water from 7 different wells laced with flower from 7 different gardens treated with invocations (mantra) from the master?

Or dzikir and du'a send to and sometimes asking intercession (washilah) from the late grandmasters,  syekh Abdul Kadir Jaelani  or Syaidina Ali bin Abi Tholib  recited in Arabic, Javanese/SUndanese or combination of both. In many cases it need to be done in 'sacred places' such as in a grave of some saints.

Or  receiving a talisman (jimat) from the master, be it a keris, ring with special stones,  metal implanted under your skin (susuk) or  soil from 3 different graves wrapped in papers with some Quranic verses written on it with the mention that as long as you wear them you will be safe from any harm ?

Or what about good old fashioned breathing based meditation spattered with terms of chi or prana which is not associated with Islamic tradition not to mention some concepts that will made a syariah-based purist shudder such as the unity of God and the Creations (Wihdatul wujud, manunggaling kawulo gusti).

Apology for long lists of examples, but they are certainly some of the methods used in many 'spiritual study' in silat, so you need to consider them before hand.

Back to the your question, there could be  several option. One is  to consider a tharekat based 'path' such as Qadiriyyah, Naqsabandiyah or Sanusiyah. While they are not directly related to martial arts in the physical sense, many of the old silat master had been known follow it at some stage of their live. The more well known example of it is the Pondok Pesantren Suryalaya in Tasikmalaya west Java (www.suryalaya.org) . I had several pesilat friends, both Indonesian and caucasian that spent some times there for their spiritual retreat and came back very satisfied.  I believe there are others like it somewhere else.

Secondly you can try to contact some silat school which is commonly associated with well known Islamic organisation such as Pagar Nusa ( with Nahdhatul Ulama), Tapak Suci (Muhammadiyah), Thifan pokhan (Partai Keadilan Sejahtera), ASAD (LDII) etc. Google search on each names will give you some idea of what they are.

Thirdly, well find a private teacher that are willing to teach you.  May be other sahabat silat in this forum can point you out to the right direction.

Salam, cheers
O'