Forum > Traditional Weapons

Tusuk Konde

(1/2) > >>

Ranggalana:
Tusuk Konde is probably the least taught silat weapon. I don't know of any school that teaches it, but it is an ancient and legitimate silat weapon particularly for women. Weapon grade tusuk konde are often made with pamor and are also poisoned - or so it is said. I have only ever encountered the tusuk konde as a weapon in literature.

Anyone know more?

Salam hangat,
Bram.

EricB:
Bram do you have a picture, I never heard of this weapon.

maybe if I see it it wil be more recognizeable

Ranggalana:
Sorry Eric I have no picture, but I will describe it better. It is normally used to keep a woman's hair bun in place - it is a hair pin.

Salam hangat,
Bram

Ilmu Padi:
Salam Ranggalana and Eric,

--- Quote from: Ranggalana on 10/03/2008 06:20 ---Sorry Eric I have no picture, but I will describe it better. It is normally used to keep a woman's hair bun in place - it is a hair pin.

Salam hangat,
Bram

--- End quote ---

What you describe reminds me on the "sobra Nyai Ronggeng". This is a hair needle which was (is?) used by the "Nyai Ronggeng" or "Dance maid" in a dance art from the Cirebon area in West-Java. The performance art is called "Berokan" or "Barong kepet". The musicians and dancers of the "Berokan" art were pesilat, as is the case with many traditional movement arts and dances in West-Java. I heard of it last in 2006, but I was told it isn't practiced any longer.

According to my interview partner, who is a reknown pendekar from Cirebon, the "Dance maids" used this needle with snake poison whenever somebody came too close to them. The latest application of this tactic I was told happened during the days of the "Perang Kemerdekaan" (1945-49). Then, "Berokan" performance groups that sympathized with the Indonesian patriots applied the tactic on Dutch soldiers and police men ...

This is the story: The group appeared on public places, attracting an audience. The "Nyai Ronggeng" then teased a chosen candidate, and the rest of the performance group invited the candidate to drink. When he had enough alcohol and tried to approach the beautiful woman, she drew the needle from her hair, and he might receive a fast poisoned sting from the "ronggeng". Some days later, he was gone ...  :o

What can we learn from this? You better don't you play with a "ronggeng" in Cirebon :-[ ... One of the many, many "carita kabudayaan Penca Sunda" yet to be investigated ...

Salam

Ranggalana:
Yes Uda,

What the dangerous ronggeng in your story were using were tusuk konde - hair pins. Like the particular type of ronggeng I fear that this weapon is now extinct. Thank you for sharing the story.

Salam hangat,
Bram.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version